Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day in the Life via a reference librarian

So, we are doing the Day in a Life series visiting different librarians around the library. Well rather than catching me at the reference desk where many of you normally see me, you caught me on a day that I wasn't actually at the reference desk at all. Every three weeks those of us involved in outreach make visits to residential facilities around town to deliver books to those that have a hard time making it into the library. Friday morning I spent some time doing some behind the scenes tasks before heading out for deliveries.
What would those tasks be? Well, since I coordinate the Wednesday Movie Matinee series I was putting together, printing and posting our flyers for the October movies. You haven't come to join us for those yet? My oh my you are missing out on some great classic films. In October, in keeping with our Big Read theme of noir books and films, we will be showing two of the most famous early noir films (think Bogart). This series plays on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays at 2.
I followed up with a brief time in Web Alley giving the attendant there a break then pulled together some Big Read information and books for our senior book discussion groups coming up. These will be led by volunteers from the university (see we're getting everyone involved) who are associated with the UM MOLLI program. If you are over 55 and haven't heard about this program, give the U a call. They offer educational seminars for lifelong learners in the community and will be offering a class on the noir genre in conjunction with the Big Read.
The rest of my day was spent visiting Hillside Health Care, the Beehive Homes and Village Senior Residence. We bring between 100-200 books, including requests that people give me, to residents there every three weeks. We visit 15 facilities over the course of 4 days to provide for those that might otherwise not get to use library materials. We take books (large and regular print, fiction and non-fiction), audio books, music, magazines and DVDs. Pretty much a selection of materials that would meet the needs of anyone in Missoula. We serve people with vision, physical and developmental difficulties that make it hard to come in and choose their own materials. We bring materials for caregivers in the facilities to use for programming and activities. The best thing for me is that everyone is always so happy to see me! It's a great boost to my day.
After getting back to MPL I spent my last hour at the YA and kid's desks helping out there before closing at 6. And there you have it. Most days you will find me at the reference desk answering questions at the desk and over the phone about everything from when Missoula was started or how to find wiring diagrams to fix a car or how to find old articles in the Missoulian or what would be a good book to read on (fill in the blank) and on goes the list. Every day has something new and interesting in it. Thanks for joining me.

No comments: