Friday, April 27, 2007

Your Next Hiking Trip Begins Here

I love maps--I'm a certified cartophile. In fact, I'm a bit of a map freak (though oddly enough I don't own a world atlas) and if I had my way my apartment walls would be pretty much covered in maps. And my wife and I also like to hike and drive around (on roads) in the wilds; that's one of the reasons we moved to Missoula in fact.

So imagine my delight when I saw that the Missoula Public Library has all the USGS quads for Montana westward from the 111th meridian and all of Montana's stretch of the Missouri River.
These maps can get expensive to own as the level of detail means they don't cover much area, so a hiking tour of any real length might require several of them at $6 apiece. For those of us who think GPS is a crutch (and it is), this resource can prove invaluable. They're back behind the Reference Desk.

No comments: