Thursday, June 11, 2009

I checked the weather forecast. It looks like we have a fairly good chance of getting more rain during this upcoming week, which is good news for all the gardeners in the valley. Although I'm no master gardener and although I don't have yard space for a garden, I am doing my best to keep the tomatoes and cucumbers in my community garden plot alive. To that end, I've been looking into some Missoula area resources for gardeners. The Library has, naturally, been my particular champion; Molly, our Non-fiction book selector, has done a wonderful job of keeping our collection of gardening books up to date.

The individuals who work at Garden City Harvest have also always been helpful and enthusiastic about answering my gardening questions and making suggestions about where I might procure whatever it is I need to get to make my garden the envy of other gardeners who also have plots at my community garden site. (When we started gardening together this year, my gardening partner reinforced to me that the real point of gardening at community garden site is "to win.") I recently learned, too, about a network of Missoula gardeners, called 1000 New Gardens, who are dedicated to helping each other and others in the community establish and maintain organic vegetable gardens. Here's the web information for those two resources:

GCH: http://www.gardencityharvest.org/
1000 New Gardens: http://1000newgardens.wordpress.com/about/

And, as far as the rainy forecast goes, if you're worried about getting wet but you hate walking around and bumping into other people with an umbrella, perhaps you could considering investing in "the polite umbrella;" it's handy pull strings allow you to scrunch the umbrella away from from passerbys on a crowded sidewalk. http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=89529106732&h=XYXLR&u=UmuDe&ref=nf

No comments: