Friday, July 31, 2009

Happily Ever After

I grew up on fairy tales - sitting in the tower with Rapunzel, wandering the woods with Hansel & Gretel, testing porridge with Little Red Riding Hood. At some point I decided I had outgrown fairy tales and it was time to start reading big-people-books. That's why I was so excited to discover some of these great fairy tales for adults:

In our fiction collection...
No One Noticed the Cat, by Anne McCaffrey
That Hideous Strength; a Modern Fairy-Tale for Grownups, by C.S. Lewis
The Cricket on the Hearth, A Fairy Tale of Home, by Charles Dickens
The True Story of Hansel and Gretel, by Louise Murphy
Polically Correct Bedtime Stories, by James Finn Garner

For the retelling of classics, visit our non-fiction collection at 398.21.

I haven't read all of these - yet - but I can't wait. And this is just a sample. We have a great list of Fairy Tales with a Twist in our Young Adult room for the teens, too. (Try Beastly by Alex Flinn for a little beauty and beast adventure as a start.) Happy reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it Goldilocks who ate the porridge?

Anonymous said...

You're right! I was going to say something else about Red Riding Hood and decided I was too long-winded so I cut it down and took out the wrong character. Glad you caught my error!(I could pretend was I just testing our readers...)