Thursday, July 9, 2009

Geeks of the World Unite and Take Over!

What do you geek?

That’s what the folks at geekthelibrary.org are asking and the answers are diverse. This online project has spearheaded a community-based public awareness campaign aimed at spreading the good word about the vital role of public libraries. The project organizers believe that “no matter who you are, there are things you are passionate about—things you geek. Maybe you geek engineering or hip hop. Maybe you are passionate about composting, schooners or vampires. Or maybe you just geek the weather. Whatever you geek, serious or fun, the public library supports you!”

I discovered GeektheLibrary today via a BooklistOnline blog. I enjoyed learning what other library lovers across the country are passionate about and how they use libraries to pursue their interests and hobbies. The ‘Get Your Geek On’ section invites participants to talk about what they geek and you can also find some great tips on how you can turn your library love into a little social activism. Take a minute to explore the site and don’t forget to post a comment here and tell us what it is that you geek!

p.s.

I geek the Missoula River Market!



3 comments:

Anni said...

I geek WII Batman - and MPL has tons of Batman comics to keep me amused when I'm not WII-ing!

Anonymous said...

Our very own Ben's new library is part of the "Geek Your Library" pilot project!

Christine P. said...

I geek libraries. My favorite place, any place. Wherever I am, (especially if I'm driving around, lost) I always find the library. And all is right with the world.