Friday, July 10, 2009

Biblio-Babble


This is my first book review blog for Missoula Public Library. One of the best parts of my job at the library is the interaction with patrons and the sharing of books we've read. Although I have read Vince Flynn on occasion, I passed on his newest novel when it hit our New Fiction Power Wall. A patron who has similar reading interests as mine commented on how this was Mr. Flynn's best book to date. I still didn't check it out. After several days of him asking if I'd read it yet, I decided to try it.

"Extreme Measures" features Mitch Rapp, an American counterterrorism operative. The storyline for this book is taken from our modern day headlines, dealing with the threat of terrorism. Two terrorist cells have been thwarted, but a third cell threatens to attack somewhere within the United States. Mitch recruits a fellow operative to help stop the terrorists before it is too late. As you read, you see the obstacles that Rapp and his protege' are up against, namely our own government, which must balance between upholding the laws and protecting the nation.

I really enjoyed this book! The pace of the novel was good, as it alternated between the investigations and progress of the CIA people and the schemes of the terrorists. What I particularly liked was that while reading this novel you get a real sense of what goes on behind the scenes in Washington when dealing with matters of national security. If you like action and suspense, read "Extreme Measures". I'm glad I did and look forward to sharing more of our patrons' recommendations here on MPL's blog.

No comments: