Sunday, April 3, 2011

May I recommend?

I read an excellent article/blog from the New York Times Business Day Personal Tech section about gadgets that we should or should not keep based on the current technology. If you are wondering whether you should get a new digital camera or desktop computer or even a USB drive, take a look at this article, Gadgets you should get rid of (or not) by Sam Grobart from March 23rd. He has some interesting recommendations on what is necessary (or not) and why in the field of current technology gadgets that may surprise you. I don't necessarily agree with his recommendations but do agree that they are food for thought.
His final recommendation I do agree with only slight reservations. Books- recommendation is to keep them with one exception, cookbooks. I prefer, personally, to read books in printed format for all the reasons he gives in his recommendation. I do believe that e-Books are a convenient way to transport titles when traveling or where space is an issue but I do not own an eReader and have no plans to purchase one.
However, I am a cookbook reader just because I find them interesting and inspiring (just bought Greg Patents' latest and can hardly wait to dig in). I love to collect old cookbooks, just because they are fun to have, and yes I use them to cook from, finding recipes and ideas that the new ones don't have. I use online websites and food blogs regularly so I do agree that for expediency's sake online for recipes is good but don't know that I'm convinced about cookbooks - hooray for 641.5 and it's extensions.
And remember, as Grobart points out, "You can even borrow them for free at sites called libraries."

No comments: