Sunday, February 24, 2008

Presenting at Offline 2008

All apologies for letting the blog sit for a week without an update, but everyone here spent last week gearing up for our statewide Offline library conference. Offline focuses on technology in libraries and so I was given the task of presenting a workshop on Computer and Network Security in libraries.

Trying to figure out what to present at a conference like this is tough. I mean, how can you present on computer security to both a librarian from somewhere like Bozeman or Billings with an IT staff, and a small town librarian who does everything by themselves? Because of this I gave three totally different presentations, keeping the basic message the same: be aware of your surroundings on and offline and pay attention to general weirdness going on with your computer. As usual I had prepared too much, and had way more to talk about than I needed, but that's better than nothing. I had a great time doing it, and hopefully everyone learned something.

This was my first foray into presenting at a statewide conference, and I think I did well, I'll be at the Montana Library Association conference in April for an open source software presentation I'm really excited for.

No comments: