Thursday, April 23, 2009

April is about more than just poetry

By now we all know that April is National Poetry Month. Being a library it's only fitting that we spend a lot of time talking about it. But another non-fiction section rivals poetry this month. The 641s may well be our largest collection, and I'm sure my fellow librarians will call me to task if I'm way off base. I don't think I am. That leads me to April's other designation: National Grilled Cheese Month!

(Original photo by Flickr user faeryboots. Some Rights Reserved.)

Who knows how it got started? If I had to make up an explanation I would say that because "April is the cruelest month," someone decided we could all use some comfort food to get us through. And notice how I brought this post full circle by mentioning a poem. Clever, right?

If you don't have your grilled cheese recipe perfected yet, the library has you covered. Here are some resources for you to get started:

In the Library

Great grilled cheese : 50 innovative recipes for stovetop, grill, and sandwich maker by Laura Werlin. 641.84 WERLIN

Nancy Silverton's book of sandwiches : the best sandwiches ever from Thursday nights at Campanile by Nancy Silverton. 641.84 SILVERT

The Tillamook cheese cookbook : celebrating 100 years of excellence by Kathy Holstad. 641.373 HOLSTAD

On the Web

The Basic, with suggestions for additions, from Epicurious

Grilled Cheese Sandwich Competition

Maybe more about Grilled Cheese than you'll ever need from Squidoo

Now it's up to you, get out there and grill some comforting sandwiches. I know I've worked up my appetite. And if you live here in Missoula, today would be a perfect day to try out the recipe of your choice since it is so rainy and dreary out.

No comments: