Saturday, June 9, 2007

Or, for those of us who are bit more low-tech...

The RSS feeds are great, don't get me wrong. I'm just as excited about them as Ben is - well, almost anyway. See, here's the problem. I'm not quite as computer-savvy as he is. Anybody else out there know the feeling? I mean, I can download and Google search with the best of them. I e-mail digital photos of my kid to my dad and even buy books on Amazon.com sometimes. But somehow I don't quite feel ready for Web 2.0 yet.

I'm sure I'll figure this RSS Feed thing out eventually, although I may have to break down and ask Ben for help, but he's used to that. Thanks, Ben, for being so patient with me. : ) In the meantime, I thought I'd let you know that there is another way for you to check on new arrivals at the library. A slightly less high-tech way, for those of us who are still easing down the on-ramp, trying to pick up speed for that big merge onto the information super-highway.

If you've ever used our on-line card catalog to look up a book or renewed your library materials from home on your computer, the word iBistro will be familiar to you. It's the friendly little blue-and-white screen you see when you sit down at one of the computers behind the information desk, and it's your best friend when it comes to finding stuff at the library.

In the upper right-hand corner of the iBistro screen, there is a small white box with the words "Library Info". It's right next to the spot where you enter your library card number and PIN to log into your account. The first option beneath "Library Info" is "New Arrivals". If you click on that, it takes you to a page where you get to choose what category of new arrivals you'd like to look at, whether it be fiction, DVDs or children's books. Just click on the one you're interested in and it takes you to a list of what's new in that category. Want to look at a different one? Just click on "Go Back". A quick, easy option for people who haven't quite conquered all the subtleties of the World Wide Web yet. Like me... : )

No comments: